Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Week 7 PLE Post

The role of technology in creating dynamic learning experiences for students: Technology can contribute greatly to learning experiences. I think that using technology creates dynamic learning experiences when it increases a student's enthusiasm to learn more. Technology can create excitement, and for many it is a chance to experience learning in an entirely new way. It is very possible that by using technology you can produce a learning experience that a student will remember years after--it can help lead the student to a love of learning.

Ways technology might detract from student learning:
If a teacher does not have some sort of purpose for using a technology, then that technology failed to contribute to a worthwhile learning experience. Technology should not take the place of the teacher in the classroom--the presence of a teacher is not necessary for learning, but I think that having this mentor/ learning guide is important in the learning process, especially in the classroom. Technology can contribute to neglect in the classroom, and this can be detrimental to students. To much excitement produced from technology can detract from the standard or lesson being taught. I think there needs to be a careful balance when using technology in instruction.

3 examples of technology or technology use that I have used or experienced:
In my physical science class demonstrations (many using different types of technology) were used to teach or help explain a concept. My favorite was probably the strobe light, as well as when my professor created an explosion in the classroom. That was pretty exciting. It is amazing how the use of technology can contribute so much to learning. After creating our digital storytelling project I became very excited about using technology. I had a lot of fun writing dialogue for our story--I was proud of this, but then when I saw the finished product I was amazed at how our story came to life. Of course, our picture weren't moving, but the music and voices added so much more to the story. My view of technology is getting broader . . . I'm starting to see that technology can expand possibilities. Google Earth--I think my favorite thing is still seeing the globe move to wherever my destination is. It's like flying around the globe. You know, I've seen some pretty negative influences of technology, but I think technology (depending on how it is used) can produce worthwhile experiences. Flying to places I've always wanted to visit on Google Earth, this is remarkable! Adventures of all sorts can be experienced in Google Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment